Assemblyman Brian Curran (Lynbrook-21st AD) recently honored the winners of the annual Flag Day Essay and Poster contest at Greis Park in Lynbrook.
“We had great participation from the community and students in this year’s competition,” said Assemblyman Curran.
“The essays and art produced by these young students show an incredible insight into what the American flag means to the youth of our state. The patriotism and care these students exhibit are a testament to the dedication and involvement their parents, this community and our educators have in raising civically-engaged children,” Curran noted.
Students in the district from kindergarten to fifth grade were eligible to enter the contest.
This year’s winners from Malverne included:
- Isis Jenkins (second grade)
- Sekani Spence (second grade Honorable Mention) of Maurice Downing School;
- Lorenzo Cali (third grade)
- Julia Brienza (third grade Honorable Mention) of Davison Avenue School;
- Sofia Lossu (kindergarten)
- William Frohne (kindergarten Honorable Mention)
- Katie Hughes (fifth grade)
- Meaghan Ferguson (fifth grade Hon. Mention) of Our Lady of Lourdes.
from Lynbrook and East Rockaway included:
From Waverly Park School:
- Aleena Khan (first grade)
- Jillian Weston (first grade Honorable Mention)
- Brandon Forman (second grade)
- Lily Ginsberg ( second grade Honorable Mention)
- Jaiden Moreno (third grade)
- Nathan Santoli (third grade Honorable Mention)
- Marti Candel (fifth grade)
Natalia Leszczak (fifth grade Honorable Mention)
From Marion Street School
- Ava Palazzola (second grade Honorable Mention)
- Ambiya Hussain (fifth grade)
Thomas Dunne (first grade) of the Lynbrook Kindergarten Center
Fourth graders Isabella DiGregorio, Ava DiSanto, Tiziana Colon, Kaitlyn Hall and Connor Connelly and fourth grade Honorable Mention winners Dylan Grismer, Athena Gonzalez, Kathrine Hansen and Maya Eusebio of Our Lady of Peace in Lynbrook;
From Centre Avenue School in East Rockaway
- Carmeron Peeples (kindergarten)
- Trevor Bedson (kindergarten Honorable Mention)
- Ashley Buckman (first grade Honorable Mention)
- Emma Van Wickler (second grade)
- John Francis O'Hanlon (second grade Honorable Mention)
- Isabella Perdomo (third grade)
- Louis DeSano (third grade Honorable Mention)
- Matthew Pollackov (fourth grade Honorable Mention)
From St. Raymond's School
Andrea Kules (first grade), Joy Tarzia (fourth grade), Ava Sciacca (fifth grade) and Quinn Carroll (fifth grade Honorable Mention)
All winners received a New York State Assembly citation, an American Flag and a Carvel ice cream gift certificate. Assemblyman Curran has held this event every year he has been in the New York State Assembly, making this the third annual Flag Day Essay and Poster competition.
Residents from the community attended the event to commemorate the American Flag. The ceremony featured the color guard unit from the East Rockaway VFW Post, and members of the Lynbrook American Legion, who recited the Pledge of Allegiance.