Here are the top five headlines for Dec. 10.
- Billy Crystal:Hoping to lift the spirits of residents in his hometown of Long Beach who were devastated by Superstorm Sandy, Billy Crystal will be busing them to the Lynbrook theatre tonight, where he'll meet them and treat them to a private screening of his new film. Click here for the story.
- Ed Burns: The neighborhood is looking more like Tinseltown this week. Filmmaker, actor and Valley Stream native Ed Burns was in Malverne Sunday evening to showcase his new movie and answer questions from the audience. Look for Patch's coverage later today.
- Hanukkah Celebrations: The Festival of Lights kicked off Saturday, and the village of Malverne and Lynbrook held their annual Menorah Lightings that night. (Look for photos later today.) The West Hempstead community will be lighting its menorah tonight at 7:30 p.m. in Halls Pond Park, but before the ceremony local firefighters will be parading around the neighborhood aboard fire trucksts, distributing hot latkas, donuts and gifts between 6:30 p.m. and 7:15 p.m.
- Difference Makers: Do you know someone in Malverne, West Hempstead or Lynbrook who really made a difference during 2012? Send an email to Tara.Conry@Patch.com to nominate them.
- Newspaper Awards: Find out what local school newspaper recently won a record number of awards from the Empire State Scholastic Press Association later today.