Here are the top five headlines for Dec. 21.
- Moment of Silence: At 9:30 a.m. this morning Patch will be among the many Web sites participating in a digital moment of silence to honor the 20 children and six adults killed last Friday in the shooting in Newtown, CT. Click here for details.
- Budget Gap: The Malverne School District could be forced to cut programs and personnel as it faces a roughly $2 million budget gap for the 2013-2014 school year. Read the story here and share your thoughts.
- End of Days: If you're reading this sentence than despite theories regarding the Mayan calendar, Dec. 21, 2012 was not the end of the world. So know that you've survived the 'Mayan Apocolypse" click here to let us know how you plan to spend your weekend and hear what others readers have to say.
- Sold Homes: Coming up later today, see what homes in Malverne, Lynbrook and West Hempstead sold during the month of December, and for how much.
- Strategic Plan: The Lynbrook School District’s Strategic Planning Committee presented reports at this month's school board meeting to update the public on its progress enacting their five-year plan. Look for a recap later this morning.
Become a fan of Malverne-West Hempstead-Lynbrook Patch on Facebook for more local stories, photos, breaking news updates and ways to interact with us and other readers.