Although many residents across Malverne, Lynbrook and West Hempstead sustained property damage and are still dealing with power outages nearly one week after Hurricane Sandy pummeled the East Coast, they are focused on helping those living in nearby areas that were suffered true devastation.
collecting food, clothing and supplies at West Hempstead High School on Friday and Saturday, and are heading down to Island Park today to distribute them. On Saturday, a large crowd of students and their families gathered outside Lynbrook's West End School to celebrate Halloween while collecting donations that were then dropped off at collection sites. And across all three communities, churches, municipalities, and individual residents have mobilized to bring relief to the hardest-hit areas.
Here is a running list of ongoing collection centers in Malverne, Lynbrook and West Hempstead. (If you know of one that's missing from our list, please add it using the comments section.)
- Lakeview Volunteer Fire Department, 891 Woodfield Rd., Lakeview. Ongoing food drive for Island Park hurricane victims. Drop off at rear of firehouse or email Freddy Senti at firstname.lastname@example.org to coordinate the large deliveries.
- Lynbrook Recreation Center, 55 Wilbur St., Lynbrook (inside Greis Park). Click here for a list of requested items. The Downing PTA is also willing to pick-up donations from residents' homes Mwdpta@gmail.com.
- Our Lady of Peace Church, 25 Fowler Ave., Lynbrook. Click here for more information.
- Bridge Church of the Nazarene, 1 Norwood Ave., Malverne. Click here for the latest list of supplies needed and other information.
- Our Lady of Lourdes Church, 65 Wright Ave., Malverne
- SwingBellys BBQ, 97 Broadway, Lynbrook (corner of Sunrise Highway and Broadway); 10% of all profits will also be donated to Long Beach hurricane relief efforts.
- East Rockaway Fire House, 473 Atlantic Ave., East Rockaway
- The Mommy's Guide Food Drive, Accepting canned goods and other non-perishable foods. Multiple drop-off locations: 54 Carpenter Ave. Lynbrook (This one also accepts clothes and toys.); Lynbrook Public Library, 56 Elder Street, Lynbrook; Tropix Dance Studio, 608 Merrick Rd., Lynbrook: Open 6:30-8:30 p.m. starting Monday, Nov. 5. (This location is also accepting wipes, toiletries and baby supplies.); Valencia Ravioli, 82 Broadway, Lynbrook; Valley Stream Public Library, 60 Verona Ave., Valley Stream