Here are the top five headlines for Jan. 31.
- School Aid: In his latest effort to restore the state aid that was cut from West Hempstead, East Rockaway and other local school districts, NYS Assemblyman Brian Curran (R-Lynbrook) sent a fiery letter to Gov. Andrew Cuomo. Click here to read it.
- Restoring the Rock: Coming up at 9 a.m. today, see how one elementary school in Suffolk County is helping to restore East Rockaway High School, which suffered severe damage during Superstorm Sandy.
- Superbowl Party: Still haven't ordered food for your Superbowl party or decided where you'll watch the game Sunday? Coming up later today, check out our guide to local caterers and sports bars in the area.
- War Veteran: A funeral Mass will be held this morning at Our Lady of Lourdes Church in Malverne for long-time village resident and Navy veteran Howard Cummings. Click here to read his obituary.
- Political Lessons: "Washington can learn something from local government," writes Senior Hempstead Town Councilman Anthony Santino. Click here to read his latest blog to find out exactly what he means.
Are you and your spouse the cutest couple in Malverne, Lynbrook and West Hempstead? Enter our contest for a chance to win a great prize package.