Here are the top five headlines for Nov. 13.
- School Board: The Malverne Board of Education will be holding its monthly public business meeting tonight at 8 p.m. in the high school library. Look for the agenda later today.
- Playoffs: Both of West Hempstead's varsity volleyball teams made it to the playoffs this year. Click here to see how the girls did, and here for the boys. Also, read about Rams' football victory over Clarke and see who they will face in the semifinals this weekend.
- Power Outages: More than two weeks after Hurricane Sandy hit the area and knocked out power to more than 10,000 homes, businesses and schools in Malverne, West Hempstead, Lynbrook and Lakeview, that number is now down to less than 85. Click here for the latest update from LIPA.
- Tax Deadline: Gov. Andrew Cuomo has granted a tax deadline extension for several school districts across the state including West Hempstead. Click here for the details.
- Veterans Honored: Schools were closed Monday, but not due to a natural disaster, power outage or snow storm. Instead, it was to honor our country's veterans. Look for coverage of local Veterans Day ceremonies later today.