Here are the top five headlines for Oct. 23.
- Marching Band Festival: The Pride of Malverne High School, also known as reigning NYS Champions, will be performing in the Newsday Marching Band Festival tonight (6 p.m.) at Hofstra University. Lynbrook will be performing Thursday night around 7:30 p.m.
- West Hempstead BOE: The West Hempstead Board of Education will hold a special business meeting tonight at 7:30 p.m. at the Chestnut Street administration building to consider one docket pertaining to the appointment of per diem substitutes and medical personnel. The board is expected to go into executive session, so the public will not be permitted to sit in on the meeting. The Space Utilization Committee meeting originally scheduled for tonight has been moved to Oct. 30.
- Lock Your Cars: After a recent string of reports from residents in Malverne saying that someone stole items from their unlocked vehicles, the village's police chief is once again urging everyone to lock their cars. Click here for the story.
- Charity Softball Game: Who won this year's charity softball game between the Lynbrook Fire Department and Lynbrook Baptist Church? More importantly, how much did both teams raise for Operation Wounded Warrior? Look for photos and a recap later today.
- Presidential Debate: President Barack Obama and GOP Candidate Mitt Romney sparred for a third time Monday night in the final presidential debate. Who do you think won this round? Click here to let us know.