Here are the top five headlines for Oct. 8.
- Columbus Day: Schools and some businesses in Malverne, West Hempstead and Lynbrook are closed today in observance of Columbus Day, a celebration of Christopher Columbus' arrival in America. October is also National Italian Heritage Month, which is why local officials recently presented the Order Sons of Italy Per Sempre Lodge #2344 (see photo above). Learn more about this organization later today.
- Fitness Fundraisers: Get a great workout tonight while helping to fight pancreatic cancer at this exercise class fundraiser ($5 min. donation) at Greis Park in Lynbrook. Plus, later today look for photos from the Save Frost Valley Committee's recent Zumba fundraiser.
- Crimes Nearby: Coming up this morning, find out what major crimes made headlines in communities neighboring Malverne, Lynbrook and West Hempstead this week.
- Letter to the Editor: See what this Lynbrook resident had to say to village officials regarding the Holiday Inn Express' request to demolish three homes on her block.
- Village Board: Missed the October meeting of the Malverne village board? Look for a recap later today.