Busy week? No worries. Every Sunday, Patch highlights the top stories of the week so you can catch up on all of the big local news. Here's a look at this week's Top 7 stories.
- ; West Hempstead Schools Chief Responds to Newtown Massacre: In the wake of the that left 20 children and six adults dead, the Lynbrook, Malverne and West Hempstead School Districts released statements to express their condolences, assure parents that security measures are in place and offer advice for explaining the tragedy to students. Click on the links above to see what your local school chief had to say.
- Fire Breaks Out in Second Floor of Malverne Home Two EMTS with the Malverne Volunteer Ambulance Corps -- Chris and Shannon Orlik -- returned from a call Monday night to find their apartment was on fire, and most of their possessions were destroyed. Click on the following link to find out how you can help the Orliks rebuild their lives: MVAC Members Lose Nearly Everything in Cornwell Avenue Fire
- Billy Crystal Visits with Sandy Victims at Lynbrook Movie Screenings: Award-winning actor Billy Crystal was at the Lynbrook movie theatre Monday to speak with residents from his hometown of Long Beach and cheer them up as they continue to recover from Superstorm Sandy with a free showing of his new comedy. Click on the headline for the story and photos.
- Ed Burns Returns Home for 'Fitzgerald Family Christmas': Actor and filmmaker Edward Burns was also in the neighborhood this past week. The former Valley Stream resident spoke with an audience in Malverne following a screening of his new film. Click on the link above for the full story, photos and video.
- WATCH: Power Struggles Shut Down Malverne School Board Meeting: The ongoing conflicts among members of the Malverne Board of Education and school leaders escalated at Tuesday's meeting, which was cut short after a power struggle ensued among the officials. Click on the headline above to view the story, read statements from two trustees and watch footage of the meeting.
- Rosman Elected to West Hempstead Fire Commission: There was an upset in Tuesday's race for a seat on the West Hempstead Fire Commission as Avi Rosman defeated long-time incumbent Sue Scognamiglio. Click on the link for the story. In Lakevew, Commissioner Fred "Sandy" Senti was elected to a sixth term. To view our interview with him click here.
- : The Malverne School District approved a plan this week for how it would make up the mandatory instruction time lost due to Superstorm Sandy and last month's Nor'easter. Click here for details.