Here's a look at what's open and closed in town:
- The day is marked as a federal holiday. All federal employees and offices are closed. Banks are closed, as well as the stock market. All New York State Department of Motor Vehicle offices are closed.
- It is also a postal holiday, which means there is no regular mail delivery/pickup or retail services.
- Hempstead Town Hall and senior centers are also closed in observance of the holiday.
- Garbage will not be picked up on Monday. The sanitation pick up schedule for normal Monday pick up will be Tuesday and Thursday instead.
- In the Village of Lynbrook, Monday’s garbage and recycling will be picked up on Tuesday, Tuesday’s garbage and recycling will be picked up on Wednesday, no yard waste, Wednesday’s recycling will see no change, picked up on Wednesday, according to the village website.
- Nassau County buildings and offices will be closed as well.
- Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) services will operate on special schedules. The Long Island Rail Road will operate on a holiday schedule with 38 additional trains added on various branches as indicated in current timetables. Off peak fares apply all day. Details can be found here.
- All schools are closed.