Plus, meet Malverne's new fire chief, get an update on the Nassau County Police precincts merger and more.
Here's our look at the top headlines for April 18.
- Budgets Adopted: The Malverne school district unanimously voted in favor of adopting the 2012-2013 budget proposed by its administration Tuesday night. West Hempstead adopted theirs too, but not without some dissension. to learn about the proposed budget for West Hempstead and how each trustee voted. Check back later today for coverage of Malverne's budget adoption meeting.
- New Fire Chief: The elected its new leaders earlier this month. Look for our profile on the new fire chief, Scott Edwards, this afternoon.
- Board Candidates: In case you missed it, here's the official list of the residents who will be running the May 15 school board elections in Malverne and West Hempstead. We'll also have an interview with one of the candidates later today
- Police Precinct Merger: How's Nassau County Ed Mangano's plan to merge the county's eight police precincts going? Find out what deal the county struck with the police union later this morning in our follow-up report.
- Readers' Choice: Don't forget that polls close Friday morning in our contest to find the best pancakes in Malverne-West Hempstead. Vote for your favorite local eatery .