For months, residents in Malverne have been wondering when they would get to voice their opinions on a proposed rate increase for their water provider, Long Island American Water, to the NYS Public Service Commission. Well, they now have an answer - and a date, for a public hearing, that is.
Get the full story, find out how you can win $100K for your local schools and more. Here are the top headlines for Dec. 8.
- LIAW Public Hearing: The New York State Public Service Commission is seeking public input regarding a proposal that would increase customer rates for Long Island American Water, a company that services Malverne, Lynbrook, Valley Stream, a small portion of West Hemsptead and other local areas. to see how you can express your opinion and learn more about the proposal.
- Deck the House: With school budgets growing increasingly tighter, what district couldn't use any extra $100,000? Well, if you're the winner of Patch's Deck the House contest you can win just that for your local schools by snapping a photo of your holiday decorations. Learn more later this morning.
- Meet the Candidates: Who will you be voting for on Dec. 13 in the West Hempstead Fire Commissioner election? Meet the two candidates who will be facing off .
- Crime Watch: Find out what burglaries, arrests and other criminal acts happened in the neighborhood in our weekly Crime Watch, which will be available later this morning.
- Mules Basketball: "We don't know what kind of team we're going to have this season," Malverne's varsity boys basketball coach recently told Patch. The Mules will play their first game next week but they are missing four of the star players who led the team to the Long Island Championship last season. We caught up with the team to see who's on the roster and what the coach will expect of both his returning players and new talent. Look for the story this afternoon.