To see or not to see...his shadow? That is the question of the day as local officials, the press and curious onlookers gather in Malverne this morning to witness groundhog Mel's weather prediction.
Can't make it to the ceremony? Read on to learn how you can stay connected to what's happening. Plus, read about more top stories for Feb. 2.
- Groundhog Day: Malverne Mel makes his forecast this morning at 7 a.m. at . Find out if he sees his shadow or not later today or connect with us through Facebook for live updates from the village's Groundhog Day ceremony.
- Crime Watch: Find out what burglaries, car thefts and other crimes were committed in the neighborhood this week when our report posts later this morning.
- Student Achievement: In an attempt to raise student achievement in the West Hempstead school district despite fiscal challenges, the West Hempstead school board and administrators held an open discussion with members of the local teachers union this week. Find out what was said later today.
- P.J. Drive: in Malverne is accepting donations of new kids pajamas from now until Feb. 14. The p.j.s will be distributed to children in need in the U.S. and around the world through the Pajama Program.
- W.H. Lions: Before you watch the big game this Sunday enjoy a delicious with the West Hempstead Lions Club. This afternoon, also find out how the local organization helped send local kids to a special camp.