Schools are closed this week but you don't have to go far today to entertain your kids. Find out about a fun program happening today at the Malverne Public Library.
Plus, tells us what local place has the best wings. Here's the top stories for Feb. 21.
- Lighthouse Science: The Cold Spring Harbor Whaling Museum will be at the Malverne Public Library from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. today to teach kids in Grades 2 though 6 about the science of lighthouses. They'll learn how they operate, discover how the lenses work, try out some jobs of a lightkeeper. and even assemble their own flickering lighthouse.
- Crimes Nearby: A local cop is injured in a shoot-out. A Valley Stream gas station is robbed. Find out more in this week's Crimes Nearby.
- Best Wings: Click here and tell us (in the comments section) what local restaurant, deli or grocery store has the best chicken wings in Malverne-West Hempstead.
- Altar Girls: It was once a 'boys club,' but a large percentage of altar servers, including those at Our Lady of Lourdes Church in Malverne, are girls. Reporter and photographer Dave Paone explores why more and more females are sporting surplices.
- West Hempstead Budget: Find out later today what was discussed at the West Hempstead school district's community budget meeting last week. (Also, if you haven't done so already, vote here to tell us what actions the Malverne school board should take regarding their district's budget.)