Every weekday morning Patch let's you know the top five things going on in Malverne and West Hempstead for the day.
See what you need to know for Jan. 20.
- Protest at Town of Hempstead Animal Shelter: Animal activists and concerned residents of the Town of Hempstead will hold a rally and press conference this afternoon to protest alleged abuses at the Town's Animal Shelter. The demonstration will be held outside the shelter, which is located in Wantagh. Recently, three volunteers who had worked had the shelter filed a lawsuit against the Town of Hempstead. Learn why they are suing by In response to some of the allegations, the Town of Hempstead also announced in November efforts to improve the shelter. Read the full article .
- West Hempstead School District Joins Suit Against County: Missed the West Hempstead Board of Education meeting Tuesday night? Many important issues were discussed, including a decision for the board to sign onto a lawsuit against Nassau County regarding property assessments. The board also announced plans to review some of the policies they had voted on during December's meeting, decisions that had left some residents outraged. See a rundown of the highlights from the meeting here.
- Malverne Lacrosse Registration: The final sign up for Malverne Mohawks Lacrosse takes place today at . Register your child tonight, Jan. 20, between 7pm and 9pm.
- Unleash Your Inner Artist: The is holding a special art workshop tonight in the Community Room starting at 7p.m. Participants will learn how to create a painting in the style of Willem de Kooning using large canvases, paint, tracing vellum and other materials. This program is made possible by a grant from the Willem de Kooning Foundation. Registration for this event began Jan. 3 but check with your local librarian to see if spots are available.
- National Coffee Break: Today has been designated National Coffee Break Day by the National Coffee Association. People around the world will be taking some time out of their busy days to enjoy a brewed cup of java. To find one near, visit one these local shops:
- Malverne Deli
Find more stores in our directory.
Visit Patch tomorrow morning for the Daily Five list of important events and stories that you should know about for Thursday, Jan. 21. If you have an item that you think should be included in one of these lists, leave a comment or e-mail Tara.Conry@Patch.com.