Plus, we follow the sentencing of a West Hempstead man, look at a new video series uncovering secrets of local landmarks and continue our countdown of the things that make the community great.
Here are your headlines for July 26.
- Flight Frustration: Residents in Malverne are not alone in their about what they say has been an increase in air traffic noise in the area. More than 40 residents from surrounding communities attended a meeting of the Town Village Aircraft Safety and Noise Abatement Committee (TVASNAC) Monday night where officials from the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and the Federal Aviation Administration fielded questions. Get the story today and find out how the village of Malverne is responding to the issue.
- Sentencing: A West Hempstead man charged with vehicular assault will be sentenced today. Last June, Charles Eid, then 24, was arrested for driving while high on drugs after he caused a crash that seriously injured a 50-year-old pedestrian in Franklin Square, according to Nassau County Police. Learn more later today.
- South Shore Secrets: Patch launches its new video series today - Sweet Secrets of the South Shore. In our first installment we join the beach patrol at Jones Beach for a behind-the-scenes look at this local hotspot. Learn more .
- Top 100: Patch continues its countdown today of the top 100 attractions that make Malverne and West Hempstead wonderfully unique. See what made the #77 spot this afternoon.
- Zumba: It's Zumba Tuesday at the West Hempstead Public Library, which is offering classes at 4:45 p.m. and 6 p.m. Call (516) 481-6591 to sign up.