Election Day has finally arrived! Polls will be open from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. for the village of Malverne's special election.
Still not sure how you'll cast your vote? Read on to learn more about the candidates and where each one stands on the village's most pressing issues. Here are your top headlines for March 20.
- Village Election: Dr. Carol Hassett and Patricia Canzoneri-Callahan go head-to-head in today's special election in Malverne, vying for a three-year trustee term on the village board. Registered voters can cast their ballots from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. at the . to see our Election Guide, which includes bios on each candidate and where they stand on local issues, and vote in our anonymous poll.
- School Board: The West Hempstead Board of Education will hold its monthly business meeting tonight at 7:30 p.m. in the high school videoconference room. Look for the agenda later this morning, plus find out what you missed at last week's budget workshop.
- MVAC Contract: Patch learned Monday that the members of the Malverne Volunteer Ambulance Corps overwhelmingly voted in favor of approving a new contract and lease with the village of Malverne after months of tense negotiations. for the story.
- School Integration: The Malverne school district and race relations in Malverne and Lakeview were the subjects of an opinion piece written by Alan Singer, a professor at Hofstra University who delivered a lecture at the Lakeview Public Library last month. Read what he had to say and sound off on this topic later this morning.
- Deadlines: If you live in West Hempstead and have a student entering college in the fall, you should know that there are only a few days left for them to apply for. If you live in Malverne and have a child entering Kindergarten in September, time is running out to register them. for details. Know of another important deadline approaching? Email the details to Tara.Conry@Patch.com.