We're starting to see signs of spring in Malverne and West Hempstead. The thermometer hit 70 degrees Thursday, the tulips at Tanglewood Preserve in Lakeview are poking out of the ground and this weekend we'll have to move our clocks forward one hour as we 'spring' ahead."
But before we get ahead of ourselves, let's take a look at the top stories in Malverne and West Hempstead for March 9.
- Financial Forecast: In addition to looking at non-instructional items in the, the West Hempstead school district also devoted some time during Tuesday's meeting to discussing its financial future. Learn more about its four-year forecast later today.
- Spring Ahead: Daylight Saving Time begins March 11, which means you'll have to set your clocks forward one hour at 2 a.m. this Sunday. Malverne Fire Chief Danny Morgan also says this is a good time of year to change the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Tapping Birds: Who doesn't love a cute animal video? Patch captured a trio of tapping birds during a recent visit to the Center for Science Teaching and Learning at the Tanglewood Preserve. Check out .
- Beauty and the Beast: You have three chances left to see 's enchanting production of Beauty and the Beast the musical. The show will be performed tonight at 8 p.m and Saturday at 1:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. for photos and video highlights, and ticket information.
- Vacant West Hempstead Stores: Also, today on Patch, learn about a large commercial property on Hempstead Turnpike in West Hempstead that was recently vacated and tell us what you would like to see open here.
Are you on Pinterest? Patch is too! Follow our boards here.