A proposal to turn a mostly vacant building in Malverne into a restaurant with some office space too has local residents and merchants divided, and everyone waiting for the village board to make a decision.
Plus, the curtain went up Thursday night for the West Hempstead Middle School musical. See how you can see their final performance.
Catch up on all the latest local news with our top headlines for Nov. 18.
- Restaurant Proposal on Ice: The Malverne village board heard a number of arguments for and against granting special exceptions for a new restaurant-office building to open up on Hempstead Avenue. See what they had to say and what officials decided .
- Middle School Musical: West Hempstead Middle School held its first performance of Once Upon a Mattress Thursday night. Their second and final show will take place tonight at 7:30 p.m. in the high school auditorium. Don't miss it!
- Help Needed: Volunteers are still needed to help clean-up Hempstead Lake State Park in West Hempstead this Saturday, Nov. 19. for details.
- Food Drive: New York State Assemblyman Ed Ra, who represents portions of Malverne and West Hempstead, kicked off a food drive in both communities Thursday. Donations of non-perishable food can be dropped off at the Malverne Public Library and the West Hempstead firehouse on Hempstead Turnpike from now until Dec. 31. They will be delivered to Island Harvest.
- Safety Concerns: From burglaries and speeding, to gangs and rooming houses, the residents of Lakeview expressed a number of community safety concerns to Nassau County's police chief during a recent meeting. They even got answers regarding the possible closure of local police precincts. Get the story .