First brown water, now Malverne is making local and national headlines for the mysterious dark subtance that one couple says fell out of the sky after a plane passed by last week. (It was even a topic of a conversation on Z100 Monday morning.)
See what is being done about the situation. Plus, more top stories in our look at the headlines for Feb. 27.
- Sludge Probe: it will begin an investigation today of the strange droppings that fell onto residents of Malverne and their property Thursday. Find out more later today.
- TVASNAC Meeting: The falling sludge will no doubt be mentioned at tonight's meeting of the Town-Village Aircraft Safety and Noise Abatement Committee in Garden City, where local residents can air their complaints about the air traffic flying over their homes. (Malverne is a member of this committee and will have a representative present.) The meeting starts at 7:30 p.m. in the and is open to the public.
- Crimes Nearby: A man was shot in Inwood early Sunday during a police probe. Get details about this story and other major crimes that occurred in areas surrounding Malverne and West Hempstead later this morning.
- Vacant Supermarket: More than 100 people have told us what they would like to see open up in this vacant supermarket on Woodfield Road in West Hempstead. See what they had to say and tell us your thoughts .
- School Integration: The integration of the Malverne schools during the civil rights era and the continued struggle for equality was the focus of three meetings held at the Lakeview Public Library last week. Learn more this afternoon.