Whether it's raising money for a sick child or helping a community theatre stay open, there have been a number of Go Fund Me campaigns started to raise money for those in need.
Here's a look at some featured stories throughout Long Island:
- Campaign Raising $250K to Help Family of Sick Child: An online campaign is fighting to raise $250,000 for a young anemic boy in need of a cell transplant.
- Farmingville Theatre Needs Community Support to Stay Open: Take One Theatre at 1021 Portion Rd. in Farmingville is currently closing on Dec. 31, unless the community can raise enough support to save the theatre through a GoFundMe campaign.
- Local GoFundMe Campaign Starts for Puppy Mill Survivors: Save-A-Pet-Animal Rescue and Adoption said people are forgetting that when you purchase an animal from a pet store it might have come from a puppy mill, where they are treated horribly.
- Miss NY USA Pageant Finalist from East Meadow Seeking Donations: Danielle Jean of East Meadow has been selected a state finalist for the 2014 Miss New York USA pageant. All contestants are required to raise $1,500 in sponsorship fees; three installments of $500 are due on the 16th of every month now until January.
- Help Local Sailing Team Reach Olympics: Jordan Factor and Matthew Wefer of Glen Head have been sailing together since the fall of 2008 and have consistently improved through hard work and dedication to become one of the top teams in the United States.
- Help Babylon Varsity Cheerleaders Get to Nationals: The Babylon Varsity Cheerleading team is heading to a national competition – with your help, that is.
- One Person Turns to GoFundMe to Help a Friend in Need: Tracey Anne, from Stony Brook, has been trying to raise money for one of her friends Joe. Anne said that he caught a bad infection that led to surgical problems, a leg amputation, and an extreme amount of medical bills.
- Fundraiser to Remember Lost Friend, Father of Four: A Northport Family is fundraising to help a local family after the death of Darin Finkelstein, a husband and father of four young children, who died in October at the age of 37.