Here are the top five headlines for Sept. 17.
- Rosh Hashanah: The celebration of the Jewish New Year, Rosh Hashanah, began Sunday evening and will continue until Tuesday evening. In observance of the holidays, public schools in Malverne, West Hempstead and Lynbrook, along the Hebrew Academy of Nassau County's local schools, will be closed today and tomorrow.
- Crimes Nearby: Find out what major crimes were committed this past week in communities surrounding Malverne, West Hempstead and Lynbrook. Look for the latest "Crimes Nearby" column later this morning.
- Frost Valley: The efforts to save Howard T. Herber Middle School's sixth grade field trip to Frost Valley were discussed at Wednesday's meeting of the Malverne Board of Education. Find out what was said later today and how much money has been fundraised so far!
- Lynbrook Superintendent Search: The Lynbrook Board of Education is inviting the community to participate in the search for a superintendent to permanently take over the position of schools chief formerly held by the late Dr. Santo Barbarino. Click here for details.
- Sports Previews: Now, that the falls sports season is underway for Malverne, West Hempstead and Lynbrook high schools, let's take a look at some of our hometown teams this week, starting today with the Rams.