Busy week? No worries. Every Sunday, Patch highlights the top eight stories of the week so you can catch up on all of the big local news. This week, the top stories are:
- 9/11 Anniversary: To mark the 11th anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks the communities of Lynbrook () West Hempstead () and Malverne () held separate memorial ceremonies to reflect on killed by terrorists.
- : Following the recent of West Hempstead of Education Trustee and President Walter Ejnes, the school board appointed a new leader and discussed how to handle the vacant seat.
- : After months of listening to arguments from representatives of the Holiday Inn Express, who were requesting a zoning change to demolish three homes to building a parking lot, and neighbors opposing the plan, the Lynbrook village board made a decision Monday night. Click on the link above for the story.
- : Workers at this 7-Eleven store on Hempstead Avenue were robbed once again at knifepoint this week.
- : More than 50 readers have commented on this story discussing the conflict that has arisen regarding the Malverne school district's allocation of permits to local youth groups wishing to use its new artificial turf field. Click on the link to learn more and share your thoughts.
- : Thursday was a busy day for Lakeview volunteer firefighters, who responded to two bizarre accidents, including one where a man was run over by his own vehicle. Click on the link to learn about both incidents.
- : In addition to field use, Malverne residents and school board members also butted heads at Wednesday's meeting over the raises granted to administrators and postings on a popular Facebook page. Click on the story above for details. (On a side note, that the district's capital improvement projects would be finished soon and will come in under budget.)
- : Patch sat down with Andrew Brohm, co-captain of the West Hempstead Fire Department's drill team, the Westerners, to learn more about their recent victory at the New York State Motorized Drill Championship.
Never miss a big local story. Get Malverne-West Hempstead-Lynbrook Patch news delivered right to your inbox or smartphone everyday with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here. Also, follow us on Facebook and Twitter for real-time updates, contests and more.