Here are the top five headlines for Aug. 16.
- Lightning Strikes: Lightning outside a Malverne home Wednesday afternoon. Then, in the evening hit the steeple of a church in West Hempstead, setting a cross perched on top of it on fire.
- Grocery Store Shuts Down: One month after reversing its decision to shut down, the Associated grocery store in Malverne did close its doors Wednesday, leaving the village without a supermarket. Click for the story.
- Demographics Study: As the West Hempstead school district with the vacant space it owns at Chestnut Street and the soon-to-be empty school building on Eagle Avenue, it commissioned a demographics study to shed light on student enrollment going forward. Find out what the report revealed later today.
- Precinct Merger: The realignment of Nassau County's Fifth Police Precinct, which includes West Hempstead, Lakeview and N. Lynbrook, could face delays. Click to learn more.
- Triathlon and Concert: Come out to Greis Park in Lynbrook tonight to support as they compete in their first triathlon. The event starts at 7 p.m. A concert, featuring "The Project," a classic rock band, will start at 7:30 p.m.