Here are the top five headlines for Aug. 28.
- Lynbrook Schools Chief Dies: Dr. Santo Barbarino, Lynbrook's beloved schools superintendent, died suddenly Monday morning of an apparent fatal heart attack. Click to see what the many friends, family, neighbors, colleagues and students (past and present) of 'Dr. B' have said about his life as they cope with the loss of their dear friend, mentor and leader.
- Irene Anniversary: One year ago today Tropical Storm Irene touched down on Long Island, wreaking havoc in Malverne, West Hempstead and Lynbrook. to take a look back at our coverage of the storm in these communities and tell us what you recall.
- Space Committee: The West Hempstead school district's Space Utilization Committee will finally be stepping inside the two buildings whose fate they have been debating for weeks. Join school officials and fellow residents tonight as they tour , starting at 7:30 p.m. and around 8 p.m. (Haven't attended a space committee meeting yet. Get caught up on what they've been discussing .)
- Aircraft Noise: Could the Town-Village Aircraft Safety and Noise Abatement Committee be getting closer to forming an action plan to address the excessive airplane noise in local communities? Find out what was said at Monday's TVASNAC meeting this afternoon.
- Malverne School of Music: Look for photos on Patch later today of the outdoor concert the performed last week.