The following information was supplied by the Nassau County, Garden City and Rockville Centre Police Departments. A criminal charge is only an accusation, and does not indicate convictions.
Alleged Drunk Driver Causes Crash Involving Ambulance
A Great Neck man who was allegedly driving under the influence of alcohol caused a serious multi-car crash in Franklin Square early Wednesday morning that injured two others, including a medical technician.
According to Nassau County Police's Homicide Squad, Daniel Zucker, 21, was traveling southboundon Franklin Avenue around 2 a.m. on Aug. 29 in a 2004 Honda. He then allegedly made an abrupt left turn, attempting to enter the parking lot of a McDonald's restaurant, and cut off a Nassau County Police Department ambulance, which was operating northbound on Franklin Avenue at Gavrin Boulevard.
A collision occurred and the ambulance was redirected to the eastside of the intersection, nearly striking several utility poles. The Honda continued on striking a 2005 Mercedes Benz waiting to exit the parking lot westbound. The occupants of the Mercedes Benz, two males, ages 22 and 13, were not injured. A 19-year-old male passenger in the Honda was transported to a local hospital, where he was admitted, as was the 37-year-old male Advanced Medical Technician who was inside the ambulance.
An investigation revealed that Zucker was allegedly operating under the influence of an alcoholic beverage and he was taken into custody. He was transported to an area hospital and admitted. All injured persons are listed in stable condition. The vehicles were impounded for brake and safety inspections.
Zucker was charged with Driving While Intoxicated and second-degree Vehicular Assault. He will be arraigned as soon as practical.
An employee at a limo company's storage yard was allegedly held at gunpoint while several suspects robbed the trailers in East Garden City early Friday morning.
According to detectives, a male employee was working at Designerlimo Company storage yard located at 639 Oak St. While the victim, 24, was cleaning a luxury bus an unknown male Hispanic wearing a mask displayed a handgun and ordered the victim to lie on the floor and not move.
The victim waited approximately 15 minutes before he looked out the window and saw the subject along with four or five additional subjects leaving the yard through a hole in the fence. The subjects fled in an unknown direction. The victim discovered an undetermined amount of tools were missing from trailers in the yard.
Detectives request anyone with information regarding this crime to contact Nassau County Crime Stoppers at 1-800-244-TIPS. All callers will remain anonymous.
Search Leads to Arrests for Armed Carjacking
Nassau County Police arrested two Roosevelt men in Franklin Square last Monday for an armed carjacking that occurred in Hempstead.
According to detectives, on Aug. 26, at 11:55 p.m. a 33 year old male and 22 year old female were in a 2001 Cadillac parked on Nostrand Place in Hempstead. The victims were approached by Marcus Hutchinson, 21, and Sharif Robinson, 20, both of Roosevelt. The suspects displayed a handgun and ordered the victims out of the vehicle. The victims complied and Robinson and Hutchinson allegedly entered the vehicle, fleeing eastbound on Albemarle Avenue. No injuries were reported.
Fifth Precinct Police officers observed the vehicle traveling northbound on Franklin Avenue in Franklin Square on Aug. 27 around 1:30 a.m. The suspects allegedly refused to pull over, heading eastbound on Van Buren Street and then eventually exiting the vehicle and running through yards. An extensive search was conducted by Fifth Precinct officers, the Canine Unit, Aviation Bureau and the Bureau of Special Operations. Hutchinson and Robinson were located on Hancock Avenue and taken into custody. A loaded .380 caliber handgun, which was discarded by the suspects, was located in front of a residence on Van Buren Street. The vehicle was impounded.
Both Hutchinson and Robinson were charged with first degree Robbery and Criminal Use of a Firearm, second-degree Robbery and Criminal Possession of a Weapon, and third-degree Criminal Possession of Stolen Property and Criminal Possession of a Weapon. Additionally, Hutchinson was charged with a second count of third-degree Criminal Possession of a Weapon. They were scheduled to be arraigned at First District Court in Hempstead on Aug. 28.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone everyday with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
Rockville Centre PD: Car Break-ins, Unusual Incidents and Stolen Property
- On Aug. 13 at 7:17 p.m., a complainant from Jackson Avenue in Rockville Centre reported that sometime between 9:10 a.m. and 7:15 p.m., unknown person(s) stole his 2009 green Giant bicycle valued at $585 that was secured at Front Street and N. Park Avenue in Rockville Centre.
- On Aug. 13 at 10 p.m., a complainant from Parkway Drive, Baldwin Harbor reported that sometime between 8-9:30 p.m., unknown person(s) damaged the middle driver side window to her 2010 Chrysler and stole an iPod valued at $200 while the vehicle was parked in Municipal Parking Field No. 8 in Rockville Centre.
- On Aug. 14 at 1:30 p.m., a complainant from Reese Place, Farmingdale reported that on Aug. 13 sometime between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m., unknown person(s) stole a wallet from her unlocked 2006 Nissan while parked at South Side Middle School, located at 67 Hillside Ave. in Rockville Centre.
- On Aug. 15 at 9:06 p.m., a complainant from N. Forest Avenue in Rockville Centre reported that unknown person(s) stole a purse and passport from her 2005 Hyundai that was parked in front of her residence.
- On Aug. 17 at 10:15 a.m., a complainant from Norwalk, Ohio reported that sometime between Aug. 16 at 8 p.m. and Aug. 17 at 10:15 a.m., unknown persons damaged the steering column of his 2003 Honda while it was parked at Best Western, located at 173 Sunrise Highway in Rockville Centre.
- On Aug. 19 at 2:20 p.m., a complainant from Salisbury Avenue in Garden City reported that unknown person(s) stole her Apple iPhone that had been left on the outside bar at RJ Daniel’s, located at 279 Sunrise Highway in Rockville Centre at approximately 2 a.m.
- On Aug. 16 at 10:45 a.m., a complainant from Harvard Avenue in Rockville Centre reported that unknown person(s) opened a Fidelity Investments account with her personal information without authorization.
- On Aug. 18 at 2 p.m., police personnel responded to a demonstration involving approximately one hundred protesters in front of Senator Skelos residence.
- On Aug. 14 at 10 a.m., complainant owner from Sportset, located at 40 Maple Ave. in Rockville Centre, reported that sometime between Aug. 10 and Aug. 14, unknown person(s) placed graffiti on a rear roll up garage door of the health club.
- On Aug. 13 at 3:50 p.m., complainant custodian from Riverside School, located at 110 Riverside Drive in Rockville Centre, reported that sometime between Aug. 9 and Aug. 13, unknown person(s) damaged a school sign valued at $200.
- On Aug. 17 at 11:10 a.m., a complainant from New Rochelle, New York reported that sometime between 9-10 a.m., the upper front end of her 2009 Honda was damaged by unknown means while parked at Best Western, located at 173 Sunrise Highway in Rockville Centre.
- On Aug. 19 at 12:30 p.m., complainant owner from Hair Machine, located at 40 S. Park Ave. in Rockville Centre, reported that sometime between Aug. 18 at 7 p.m. and Aug. 19 at 10 a.m., a glass door window valued at $200 was damaged by unknown means.
For questions about this crime report, email Tara.Conry@Patch.com.