The following information was supplied by the Nassau County, Rockville Centre and Lynbrook police departments. A criminal charge is only an accusation, and does not indicate convictions.
Two masked, black male subjects armed with handguns entered the Roslyn Savings Bank in Hewlett on Tuesday and ordered nine bank employees to get down on the floor of the bank, according to police.
One of the subjects jumped over the teller counter and removed an unknown amount of US currency, police said. One of the men sprayed mace into the face of a 57-year-old male employee, police said. The victim was treated at the scene and refused further medical assistance.
The subjects then fled the scene on foot in an unknown direction. There were no customers in the bank at the time.
— Matthew Hogan
A 15-year-old was robbed in Valley Stream late Tuesday night after a suspect displayed a handgun and demanded the victim’s valuables, according to the Nassau County Police Department.
The victim was walking down Putnam Avenue in Valley Stream at 10:32 p.m. when an “unknown male black” demanded the victim’s valuable items, police said. Showing a silver handgun, the suspect was able to obtain an unknown amount of money and a cell phone from the victim. The suspect fled the scene in his vehicle, heading southbound on Putnam Avenue, police said.
No injuries were reported from this incident.
— Emily Wood
- Sonny C. Williams, 56, of Rockville Centre, was arrested on June 21 and charged with third-degree assault following an investigation at his residence.
- Jason M. Mercado, 36, of Valley Stream, was arrested on June 25 and charged with third-degree assault after causing injury to a victim during a disturbance on Sunrise Hwy.
- RCPD Anti-Crime personnel arrested the following two defendants on June 25 during a narcotics investigation at 2 Sunrise Highway in RVC:
- Richard I. Hemmings, 23, of Valley Stream, was charged with third-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance and third-degree criminal sale of a controlled substance.
- Nektaria C. Drakopoulos, 23, of East Rockaway, was charged with fifth-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance.
- Shaun C. Lamacchia, 29, of Islip Terrace, was arrested on June 25 and charged with second-degree aggravated unlicensed operation, third-degree aggravated unlicensed operation, unlicensed operation, failure to yield, operating an unregistered vehicle and operation with an expired inspection certificate on Clinton Avenue in RVC.
- Desmind Yarborough, 18, of Rockville Centre, was arrested on June 26 and charged with third-degree assault during a disturbance in his residence. The defendant was also charged with trespass after he was found to have an open warrant from Hempstead.
- Randolph Thomas, 35, of Springfield Gardens, was arrested on June 29 and charged with shoplifting assorted razors at in North Woodmere.
- Yusef Manley, 35, of Far Rockaway, was arrested on July 2 and charged with the theft of assorted shaving products from the located on Peninsula Boulevard in Hewlett.
Crimes in West Hempstead, Malverne, Valley Stream and Elmont:
- A Lynbrook home on Hendrickson Avenue was allegedly burglarized on June 29 sometime between 8:45 a.m. and 1:20 p.m.
- An Oriole Avenue home in West Hempstead was burglarized on June 29 at some point between the hours of 1 p.m. to 2:40 p.m.
- An Elmont house located on Wellington Road was burglarized on June 30 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 12 p.m.
- A Wood Lane house in Valley Stream was also burglarized sometime between 11 a.m. and 10 p.m. on June 30.
- A house in West Hempstead on Walton Street was burglarized on July 2 between 3:15 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.
- Copper piping was taken from a vacant building located on Jefferson Avenue in Lakeview between July 1 and July 2. The building has been empty for approximately six months.
Grand Larcenies (Motor Vehicles)
- Two motor vehicles were stolen between June 28 and June 29 in Elmont – one from Herbert Avenue and the other from Hendrickson Avenue.
- A car was taken from the Green Acres Mall in Valley Stream on June 29 around 5 p.m. when the victim left the keys in the car when he stepped away from the vehicle.
- Another vehicle was stolen from the Green Acres Mall in Valley Stream on June 30 at 5:23 p.m.
- A vehicle was stolen from the Target parking lot on Sunrise Highway in Valley Stream on July 2 between 3 p.m. and 6:30 p.m.
- A vehicle was taken from a private driveway in Elmont on July 5 between 1:45 a.m. and 7:30 a.m.
- Tires and rims were reported stolen from a victim’s vehicle on Birch Lane in Valley Stream between June 29 at 10 p.m. and June 30 at 6:30 a.m. The vehicle had been left out on bricks.
- A victim reported checks missing from an unlocked car on Carlyle Avenue in Franklin Square. The incident is thought to have occurred between June 30 at 10 p.m. and July 1 at 8:30 a.m.
- Four tires and rims were taken from Terry Place in Valley Stream sometime between July 1 at 11:30 p.m. and July 2 at 5:30 a.m.
- All Across the Island Tires and Auto, located on West Merrick Road in Valley Stream, reported larceny of tires that occurred sometime between July 3 at 4:30 p.m. and July 5 at 8 a.m.
- A man in Elmont reported that his minibike was taken from his yard on Parkhurst Road between June 26 at 3 p.m. and June 27 at 3 p.m.
- A West Hempstead man reported a GPS and laptop stolen from his vehicle located on Hempstead Avenue between June 28 and June 29.
- A second West Hempstead man reported his GPS missing from his vehicle. The car was parked in his driveway on Hempstead Avenue. This incident was thought to have occurred during the early hours of June 29.
- A GPS and computer were taken from a vehicle on Cedar Street in Valley Stream. The vehicle was parked in the victim’s driveway and the items were taken between June 29 at 9 p.m. and June 30 at 7:30 a.m.
- Two cars in Valley Stream were damaged by unknown subjects. The first incident occurred on late June 30 on Fenwood Drive, where the vehicles owner reported someone broke into her front window. The second happened on July 1 on Rockaway Avenue, where a rental car was keyed in a parking lot.
- Another car was damaged in North Valley Stream between June 29 at 10 p.m. and June 30 at 5 a.m. The incident occurred on Morris Drive, where a vehicle was scratched on the doors and hood.
- A victim reported damage on the front passenger window of his vehicle on Clinton Avenue in Lakeview on June 30.
- A man in Elmont reported his vehicle, located on Hempstead Turnpike, had been keyed on the driver’s side door on July 4.