The following information was supplied by the Long Beach, Lynbrook, Nassau and Rockville Centre police departments. A criminal charge is only an accusation, and does not indicate convictions.
Two Teens Charged in Hempstead Shooting
Two Hempstead teens were arrested Sunday night for weapons possession and reckless endangerment after shots rang out around 11 p.m.
According to detectives for the Nassau County Police, a witness heard the sound of a gunshot and observed defendants David Benjamin, 19, and Shaquille Little, age 17, walking away on Maple Avenue. The witness followed the defendants and confronted them at Grove Street and South Franklin Avenue.
Hempstead Police were notified and an investigation revealed the defendants had allegedly fired a single round into a residence on Maple Avenue, according to cops. Two victims were inside the house but no injuries were reported. A .22 caliber Springfield rifle with its barrel sawed off was recovered outside a residence on Grove Street.
Benjamin was charged with second-degree Criminal Possession of a Weapon, first-degree Reckless Endangerment and third-degree Criminal Possession of a Weapon. Little was charged with second-degree Criminal Possession of a Weapon and Reckless Endangerment. They will be arraigned at First District Court in Hempstead on Monday.
Two More Arrested in Christmas Day Attack
Three months after a Hispanic man was assaulted in Hempstead, cops say they have arrested two more of his attackers. The incident occurred around 4:30 p.m. on Dec. 25, 2011, when police say the 29-year-old victim was confronted by a group of Hispanic men while walking south on High Street.
The men allegedly surrounded the victim and began punching and striking him, causing injuries to his face and head. Cops say one of the men, while acting in consort with two others, used a machete to further injure the victim by severely cutting into his left forearm.
The victim was transported and treated at a nearby hospital. Later that evening, cops arrested Omar Lemur, 21, in Hempstead. Then, on March 16 they arrested two other subjects - Jeronimo Wedner, 26, and Alfredo Reyez, 24, in front of a location on Franklin Avenue.
All three men were charged with first-degree and third-degree Assault, first-degree Gang Assault, seventh-degree Criminal Possession of a Controlled Substance and fourth-degree Possession of a Dangerous Weapon. Lemur was arraigned in First District Court in Hempstead on December 26, 2011. Reyez and Wedner were scheduled to be arraigned March 18.
- Michael E. Abarno, 49, of Oceanside, was arrested on Feb. 27 for first-degree criminal contempt, second-degree aggravated harassment, second-degree aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle, operation of a motor vehicle without an ignition interlock device, and numerous vehicle and traffic law offenses following a police investigation at a S. Centre Avenue residence.
- Marcos B. Merino, 36, of Freeport, was arrested on Feb. 29 for third-degree aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle, false personation, and numerous vehicle and traffic law offenses following a police investigation in the vicinity of Merrick and Oceanside Roads.
- Justin M. Collins, 34, of Rockville Centre, was arrested on March 3 and charged with fifth-degree criminal possession of marijuana and vehicle and traffic law offenses in the vicinity of 119 N. Park Ave. in Rockville Centre.
- Keith Donnelly, 20, of Point Lookout was arrested and charged with shoplifting at Kohl’s in Oceanside on March 5.
- Kevin Smith, 54, of Bethpage, was arrested and charged with burglary and trespassing at East Walnut Street on March 7.
- Ryan Clark, 19, of Lynbrook, was arrested on March 7 and charged with unlawful possession of marijuana on Watkins Place.
- John E. Colin, 19, of Lynbrook, was arrested on March 7 and charged with unlawful possession of marijuana on Watkins Place.
- William J. Flatley, 19, of East Atlantic Beach, was arrested on March 7 and charged with unlawful possession of marijuana on Watkins Place.
- Thomas Johnson, 48, of Long Beach, was arrested on March 9 and charged with resisting arrest and disorderly conduct at Long Beach Plaza on East Park Avenue.
- Thomas D. Lopez, 21, of Valley Stream, was arrested on March 9 and charged with criminal mischief and resisting arrest on Roosevelt Ave.
- Douglas Negron, 42, of South Ozone Park, was arrested on March 10 and charged with driving while intoxicated and driving with a suspended license at West Park Avenue and Grand Boulevard.
- Rafael Gomez, 58, of Long Beach, was arrested on March 12 and charged with driving while intoxicated at East Broadway.
- Jelani Fernado, 22, of Brooklyn, was arrested on March 12 and charged with unlawful possession of marijuana on Sunrise Hwy.
- A Reid Avenue resident reported to Rockville Centre police on March 4 at 2:48 a.m. that she was assaulted by an unknown person outside of the Dark Horse Tavern, located at 12 S. Long Beach Road. The victim sustained minor injuries.
For more crime, follow these links: , and .