A dryer fire sent Malverne police and firefighters racing to a home on Ocean Avenue Friday afternoon across from Malverne High School.
They arrived at the scene around noon to find heavy smoke coming from the laundry room the firefighters, led by Assistant Chief Scott Rung, quickly extinguished the small blaze. No one was seriously injured but one man who was home at the time of the incident was sent to the hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.
One of the southbound lanes of Ocean Avenue was temporarily closed as Malverne F.D. Police directed traffic around the engines.