As a thick blanket of snow fell Monday night, local firefighters also fought through heavy smoke and fire inside a Lakeview home.
The Lakeview Volunteer Fire Department were the first to respond to the working house fire at 31 Glen Rd. around 8 p.m. The occupants of the home were able to escape without any injuries. The older sister rescued the younger brother while calling 911 on her cell as she was coming down the stairs, according to Lakeview Fire Chief Heather Senti.
When the firefighters stepped inside, they were met with heavy smoke throughout the home. The crews made their way to a child's bedroom on the second floor, where they found a heavy fire condition that extended into the walls and attic area. They extinguished the blaze in under nine minutes.
Volunteer fire departments from West Hempstead, Malverne, and Rockville Centre also provided mutual aid. The fire may have been caused by overloaded electrical outlets.