.
News Alert
Cops: Man in Military Hat Robs Bank

Man Dies in Glen Cove Blaze

Victim, 87, may have knocked over kerosene lamp.

An 87-year-old Glen Cove man lost his life Sunday when a fire broke out in his Whitney Circle home, according to Glen Cove police.

The victim's 85-year-old wife was also home at the time of the fire, which occurred at about 9:45 p.m. She was transported to Glen Cove Hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.

Police are not releasing the names of the couple at this time.

A police spokesman said it appears the man accidentally knocked over a kerosene lamp and was ignited in flames. The fire is under investigation.

Mayor Ralph Suozzi said he was in the vicinity of the home when the fire broke out and was first on the scene. Power had been restored to the neighborhood hours earlier before cutting off again, and Suozzi said he was driving with his window down listening for generators to see exactly where power was out.

"I smelled smoke and heard someone yelling for help," he said. "I saw the woman coming from around the side of the house with smoke or soot on her face. The house was fully involved."

Suozzi entered the home but saw that it was too late for the home's owner, who he said was a personal friend.

A Glen Cove EMS member was also driving nearby at the time and responded within minutes, according to Glen Cove EMS chief Matt Venturino.

Emergency workers entered the home through a rear door and found the man deceased in a back room, police reported.

Glen Cove EMS responded with two ambulances, and two more were called in from Glenwood Fire Company and Roslyn Rescue Fire Company.

Suozzi was treated for smoke inhalation at Glen Cove Hospital. 

Follow Glen Cove Patch on Facebook

John Fielding November 06, 2012 at 01:00 PM
I am glad the mayor was out and took action in the fire. Not everyone would go in and try to save someone. I think one consequence of the fire was to Turn off power to houses in the area. We had gotten our power back on Sunday night but right around the time of the fire we lost it again. If anything can be done to restore it that would be great. Last night was real cold and that is how accidents start.
Mary Rose Paster November 06, 2012 at 01:17 PM
My friends and colleagues in other communities were not kept as well informed as I was. The daily calls by Mayor Suozzi were informative, accurate, reassuring and helped to break the isolation caused by Sandy. Thank you!
AM Gailius November 08, 2012 at 01:24 PM
Let us not forget all the volunteers that have given their time to help others in need . When disaster strikes, people work together and finally show their compasion. Thank you all!!!
lookyloo November 08, 2012 at 03:25 PM
What a horrible story. I am very proud of our Mayor.
Jane Beckhard-Suozzi November 10, 2012 at 12:27 PM
Lew was a wonderful caring person. I loved him dearly. If you have read this article please take the time to read his obituary. Uncle Lew should be remembered not for how he perished, but for how he lived.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »