.

Three Malverne Students Suspected in Graffiti Incident

Schools chief says district is handling the matter internally.

The discovered on the grounds last week is believed to be the handiwork of three students.

Surveillance cameras located on the property were "helpful" in identifying the suspects allegedly responsible for the vandalism reported on June 12 at the high school's new sports complex and the building itself, according to Superintendent James Hunderfund.

However, Dr. Hunderfund could not reveal the names of the three students.

"The law requires us to handle things according to the rights of individual students," he told Patch Monday. "We've complied with the law by reporting the incident to police, but we are constrained from reporting the names of students."

Both Malverne and Nassau County Police were called in to investigate the vandalism discovered last Tuesday morning by members of the district's facilities staff.

"We did give the police what we could," Dr. Hunderfund said, adding that right now, the district is "dealing with [the students] internally" through superintendent hearings.

Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone everyday with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.

The district's policy on this matter does require them to seek remuneration for the damage that was caused by the graffiti, which was spray-painted on the track that surrounds the newly installed turf field, the new press box, soccer field, the back wall of the high school building itself, a small pump house nearby and some vehicles.

"We process to the extent of the law to recover damages and to bill the parties who are responsible," Hunderfund told the public at the June 12 Board of Education meeting in response to a resident's inquiry. "Every effort will be made to recoup any loss of property damage or repairs from the people who are convicted of the crime."

The graffiti included obscene messages, mostly targeting members of the high school administration, according to school officials. Although maintenance crews got to work as soon as possible last Tuesday to remove the graffiti, scrubbing it with cleaners and washing it with steam, Hunderfund said the district is "still working on it."

"We're trying to do the best restoration job possible," he said. "Right now, we're just making sure it's not visible but down the road we may have to do some more work to put it in tip top shape."

peter fehn June 21, 2012 at 01:55 AM
Kids talk.....the name will come out in due time......
peter fehn June 21, 2012 at 01:56 AM
And as soon as I hear the names I will post them here in bold letters !!!!!
Mocha22 June 23, 2012 at 05:20 PM
Once the suspects are identified and found guilty, I hope their photos and names are on this site,as well as in Newsday and any other local publication. The taxpayers need to hold the administration presumably, Dr. Hunderfund, accountable also.
Tom Grech June 24, 2012 at 03:45 PM
While our obscene graffiti pales in comparison to the kind of physical altercation from the following; my point is why are they prosecuting in RVC and why is Malverne handling our issue "internally"? http://rockvillecentre.patch.com/articles/update-two-sshs-seniors-arrested-for-roxen-road-gang-assault
Todd Hundley August 27, 2012 at 05:42 PM
Was this swept under the rug? It doesn't seem to be on the agenda of the school board meetings. I think the residents have a right to know that state of the grounds that we all pay the upkeep for, and for the status of those students who were pointed out on camera & questioned. Why are these students being protected internally?

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »