For a third-straight day, a major car crash has occurred within the borders of Malverne, West Hempstead and Lynbrook at yet another intersection where the traffic signals have been without power since Hurricane Sandy struck the area.
This time, the accident occurred early Tuesday morning at the intersection of Ocean and Lakeview avenues in Lynbrook. At least one person was injured when a box truck and an SUV collided at the busy, uncontrolled crossroads.
Police had to close down Ocean Avenue northbound for a short time while Lynbrook firefighters and EMS personnel assisted the drivers of the vehicles and cleared the area.
On Sunday, a serious crash occurred in West Hempstead at the intersection of Westminster Road and Hempstead Turnpike, where the traffic signals also were not working. (One of the drivers was also arrested for DWI.)
Then, on Monday, nearly a week after Hurricane Sandy hit the area, three cars were involved in an accident at the intersection of Franklin Avenue and Cornwell Avenue in Malverne, where the traffic lights still do not have power.
When approaching an intersection where the traffic signals are not operating, treat it like a four-way stop. Follow these rules, courtesy of carinsurance.org.
- Come to a full stop.
- If you pull up to the four-way stop and there are no other vehicles stopped, you have the right of way and may proceed.
- If two or three vehicles are at the 4-way stop, the vehicle furthest to the right has the right of way.
- In the event that 4 cars are stopped at a 4-way stop, the alternating sides go first (north and south, then east and west).
- Only ONE vehicle may pass through a 4-way stop at one time.
- Even when it is your turn to pass through, always be cautious and yield to anyone who has started to pass through out of turn.