The Supreme Court of the State of New York announced Monday that it has upheld the Town of Hempstead's decision to reject North Bellmore strip club owner Billy Dean's cabaret application for a proposed Wantagh nightclub/restaurant on Sunrise Highway.
Dean's suit against the town argued that the Hempstead Board of Zoning Appeals should have never revoked its original June 2010 approval for cabaret usage on 3500 Sunrise Highway in Wantagh.
The zoning board decided last March to schedule a rehearing of Dean's application under the name Green 2009, Inc. due to vocal opposition that mounted against the development, as well as a belief that not enough people were notified of the original hearing date.
Town Announces Car Seat Safety Inspection Summer Schedule
Hempstead Town has announced the summer schedule for the Child Car Seat Safety Inspection Program. The town's certified child passenger safety technicians will inspect and properly install child car safety seats and instruct guardians on their proper installation. State law requires that children under the age of 8 are restrained in an appropriate child restraint system when riding in a motor vehicle.
Town technicians have received rigorous training and are certified by Safe Kids Worldwide, a coalition of 450 health and safety experts, educators, foundations, governments and volunteers.
Inspections take place by appointment only between the hours of 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. Guardians are asked to provide information in advance about the child's age, weight, height and current car seat. Space at each inspection event is limited and appointments are made on a first-come, first-served basis. The service is provided free of charge.
Appointments may be scheduled by calling the Town of Hempstead Department of Public Safety at (516) 538-1900, extension 217.
The schedule for the car seat program is as follows:
- June 6-7: Uniondale - Uniondale Park, 710 Uniondale Ave.
- June 13-16 (Sat): Baldwin - Baldwin Park, 3232 S. Grand Ave.
- June 20-21: Franklin Square - Rath Park, 849 Fenworth Blvd.
- June 27-28: Wantagh - Forest City Community Park, 3099 Morgan Drive
- July 5-7 (Sat): West Hempstead - Echo Park, 399 Nassau Blvd.
- July 11-12: Island Park - Shell Creek Park, 30 Vanderbilt Ave. & Traymore Boulevard
- July 18-19: Valley Stream - Hendrickson Park, West Merrick Road, 1/4 block east of Fletcher Avenue
- July 25-26: Westbury - Salisbury Park Drive Ballfields, 2330 Salisbury Park Drive, East Meadow
- Aug. 1-2: Oceanside - Oceanside Park, 3800 Mahlon Brower Drive
- Aug. 8-11 (Sat): Bellmore - Newbridge Road Park, 2600 Newbridge Road
- Aug. 15-16: Elmont - Elmont Road Park, 755 Elmont Road
- Aug. 22-23: Lakeview - Harold Walker Park, 1085 Woodfield Road
- Aug. 29-30: Levittown - McLaren Field, Loring Road, Levittown
- Sept. 5-6: Point Lookout - West Marina, Lido Boulevard, Point Lookout
- Sept. 12-13: East Meadow - Speno Park, 745 East Meadow Ave.
- Sept. 19-23 (Sun): Five Towns - Rock Hall Museum, 199 Broadway, Lawrence
- Sept. 27-28 (Thurs/Fri): Floral Park - Centennial Hall, 29 Tulip Ave., Floral Park
- Oct. 3-4: Seaford - Seamans Neck Park, 2700 S. Seamans Neck Road