Nassau County officials, including County Executive Ed Mangano, joined members of the New York Cosmos organization Thursday at a ribbon cutting ceremony for the Cosmos’ new practice facility at Mitchel Field.
The New York Cosmos soccer club invested $400,000 in rehabilitating a dirt field at Mitchel Field and transformed it into the team’s new practice facility.
The 10-year lease required the Cosmos to make renovations to the facility and pay Nassau County rent on the land used at Mitchel Field. The plan allows the Cosmos to use the renovated field for team training sessions during the soccer season, with the public allowed to use the facility at all other times.
County Announces Emergency Preparedness Seminar for Businesses
County Executive Mangano announced Monday that he will host the first of its kind Disaster Preparedness Seminar for Nassau County businesses on June 12 at the Nassau County Office of Emergency Management in Bethpage. The free seminar will run from 6-8 p.m.
Mangano will lead the municipally sponsored seminar, which will feature a panel of experts who will discuss the lessons learned from Hurricane Sandy. Topics will include business continuity issues, insurance issues, document management, government resources available for assistance, and how to plan for and manage your business in an emergency.
Scheduled to participate in the seminar are:
- Craig Craft, Commissioner, Nassau County Office of Emergency Management;
- Bob Stark, President, Long Island Commercial Network, a commercial real estate brokerage group;
- Walter Reid, Business Advisor with the New York Small Business Development Center;
- Anthony Ciuffo, Long Island Director of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration;
- Ashley E. Smith, FEMA Assistant External Affairs Officer for the Private Sector;
- Greg Serio, Managing Director of Park Strategies and former New York State Superintendent of Insurance;
- Julie Marchesella, President, Nassau Council of Chambers of Commerce; and
- Walter Oden II, Long Island branch manager, U.S. Small Business Administration.
Those interested in attending should RSVP by June 9 to RSVP@NassauIDA.org or by telephone to (516) 571-1745.
The Nassau County Office of Emergency Management is located at 510 Grumman Road West in Bethpage.
Family Festival Carnival
The annual Family Festival Carnival will return to Eisenhower Park from June 13 through June 16. Read more here.