Town Highway Department crews are on duty with 225 pieces of equipment to clear roadways, according to the supervisor.
As per Town code, residents are asked to remove cars from town roadways when a snow emergency is in effect to help salters and plows maintain as wide a path as possible through local streets. Supervisor Murray is also asking residents to limit car travel during the storm and snow clean-up period.
“We are asking homeowners to give us a hand by removing vehicles from the curbside. Hundreds of town workers will do their best to keep local roadways passable. Our employees will be working hard to clear streets from curb to curb, and can only be successful if their path is free of obstacles," she said.
“We would also ask residents to be considerate, asking them not to shovel snow from their sidewalks and driveways into the public street. This will keep roadways as clear as possible while reducing the risk of shoveled snow being redeposited into driveways by subsequent plowing operations.”
Sanitation and recycling pickup has been cancelled for Friday; collections will occur on the next regularly scheduled date.
Further, the township opened a dozen warming centers on Thursday; those centers will remain open Friday and Saturday for residents seeking refuge from frigid temperatures. (There will be no transportation services to local senior centers on Friday.)
The following locations will be open as warming centers from 9 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. on Friday and Saturday unless otherwise noted:
· Baldwin Senior Center, 1810 North Grand Avenue, Baldwin
· Bellmore Senior Center, 2000 Bellmore Avenue, Bellmore
· Elmont Senior Center, 138 Elmont Road, Elmont
· Franklin Square Senior Center, 1182 Martha Place, Franklin Square
· Green Acres Senior Center, 400 Flower Road, Valley Stream
· Levittown Senior Center, 555 Newbridge Road, Levittown
· Merrick Senior Center, 2550 Clubhouse Road, Merrick (Open Friday only)
· Oceanside Senior Center, 2900 Rockaway Avenue, Oceanside
· Rosa Parks Senior Center, 2 Babylon Turnpike, Roosevelt
· Salisbury Senior Center, 460 Salisbury Park Drive, Westbury
· Uniondale/Hempstead Senior Center, 840 Uniondale Avenue, Uniondale
· Uniondale/Merrick Senior Center, 750 Jerusalem Avenue, Uniondale
· Wantagh Senior Center, 1150 Seamans Neck Road, Wantagh
*Please note that the East Meadow Senior Center is closed.
- Live Cancellations, Delays: LIRR To Run Weekend Schedule Friday
- Storm Prompts Closures and Cancellations
- Emergency Shelters Opened in Nassau
- Cuomo: LIE to Close at Midnight
- Updated Long Island Power Outages
- All Outpatient Sessions at NUMC Closed Friday
- 9 Ways to Use East Meadow Patch During a Storm
- PSEG Adds Contractors, Preps for Snowstorm
- Long Island Braces for Snowstorm