Lakeview Home Deemed Uninhabitable After Debris Starts and Snuffs Out Fire

Home on Langdon Boulevard hit with up to $15K in fines for building violations.

A small fire that broke out inside a non-code-compliant home on Langdon Boulevard in Lakeview Wednesday night was snuffed out by the large collection of debris inside the house, which was later deemed uninhabitable.

When the Lakeview Volunteer Fire Department arrived at the scene shortly before midnight, the members found a very heavy smoke condition eminating from and throughout the house.

"During our primary searches of the structure, we found this home to be a colliers-type home with debris, garbage, and construction equipment throughout," Chief Heather Senti told Patch. "A small fire, located in the basement of the home, actually snuffed itself out due to the amount of debris."

Lakeview called in fire departments from Malverne, West Hempstead and Rockvillce Centre to assist at the scene while Franklin Square, Hempstead, and Lynbrook fire departments were placed on standby to cover the fire district.

After surveying the home, firefighters learned that the 2.5 story private dwelling had multiple Single Room Occupancies (SRO's) and non-conforming construction was being performed. The Town of Hempstead Building Department and Nassau County Fire Marshal's Office were called in to investigate. The TOH Building Department found approximately seven building code violations amounting to an estimated $10L-$15K in fines. The home was deemed uninhabitable and additional permits will be needed before it can be re-occupied.

The Fire Marshal determined the fire was caused by combustibles that were too close to a heat source.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »