Although thousands of homes in Lynbrook were still without power Friday and many residents incurred major property damage from Hurricane Sandy, the village fared far better than nearby East Rockaway, Island Park, Long Beach and other communities that were devastated by the storm.
To help hurricane victims across Long Island who lost their homes due to the hurricane, the Lynbrook Recreation Center is collecting supplies to donate to those most in need.
The following items are needed and can be dropped off at the village's rec center, located at 55 Wilbur St. (between Merrick Road and Sunrise Highway) inside Greis Park, between 8:30 a.m. and 11 p.m.
- Industrial Strength Black Garbage Bags
- Heavy Duty Rubber Gloves
- Non-Perishable Food
- Flashlights and batteries (AA, AAA, D)
- Hand Sanitizer
- Toilet Paper
- Toiletries (toothbrushes, toothpaste, shampoo, etc).
- New Underwear and socks in packaging-all sizes
- Paper Goods (to distribute Food)
- Baby Items (diapers, wipes)
- Toys/Activities for Kids
- Gas and Gas Cans
- Plastic Bins
- Dog Food
- Manual Can Openers
- Baby Food
To contact the Lynbrook Recreation Center, call (516) 599-8000.