Wondering what's growing and going on at , Nassau County's very own farm situated in the village of Malverne?
We'll keep you informed with our weekly "On the Farm" column. Every week, we'll fill you in on what fresh crops have been recently harvested and ready for your kitchen, what locally grown produce and gourmet items have been delivered to the farm stand and what events will be taking place that week.
Here's our latest update from Farmer Bill Walsh, the Nassau Land Trust (the non-profit that operates the farm) and the rest of the crew at Crossroads.
The first of our own organic zucchini & pattypan squash are beginning to pop up! Soon, we will be able to offer zucchini, summer squash, and pattypan squash from our fields in the farm stand.
We celebrated our valued farm volunteers this Wednesday night at our Volunteer Potluck Dinner. Not only are they experts at planting, weeding, and farm stand prepping, but talented seasonal chefs as well! Thanks to all for contributing to such a fantastic evening.
New This Week:
- Corn and cucumbers from Rottkamp's Farm in Calverton
- Zucchini, Golden Zucchini, and Cabbage from Anderson Farm in Riverhead
- Peaches from Wickham's Fruit Farm in Cutchogue
- Freshly Roasted Coffee Grounds from Gentle Brew in Long Beach
Grown at Crossroads: This organic produce was harvested from the farm in Malverne and is available for purchase right now at the farm stand.
• Winter Density (Green) Lettuce
• Red Fire Lettuce
• Garlic Scapes
From Other Farms: The following items are being sold at the Crossroads farm stand but were grown or prepared at other Long Island farms.
- Assorted Lettuces, Jams (Blackberry, Blueberry, Strawberry Peach, Strawberry Cranberry and Raspberry) and Tollhouse and Pecan Pies from Youngs Farm in Old Brookville
- Red, Yellow and Orange Cherry Tomatoes and Peaches, Raspberries and Sweet Red Cherries from Wickham's Fruit Farm in Cutchogue
- Spinach, Kale, Snap Peas, Red and Golden Beets and Homemade Horseradish from Schmitt Farm in Riverhead
- Cauliflower from Wesnofske Farm in Riverhead
- Zuchini, Golden Zuchini and Cabbage from Anderson Farm in Riverhead
- Broccoli and Red Potatoes from Smilie Kozak Farm in Riverhead
- Goat Cheese (in seven Flavors: Plain, Lemon Pepper, Cajun Spice, Cranberry, Lavender and Honey, Garden Chive, Chunky Garlic and Rosemary, Cilantro and Thyme) and Feta Cheese from Catapano Dairy Farm in Peconic
- Organic Pastured Eggs from Garden of Eve in Riverhead
- Wildflower and Clover Honey from Fricke Apiaries in Hicksville
- Long Island Potato Chips in Six Flavors (Plain, Salt and Vinegar, Sour Cream and Onion, BBQ, Rosemary & Garlic, Cheddar and Onion) and Sweet Potato Chips from North Fork Potato Chips in Peconic
- Classic Pound Cake, Almond Pound Cake, Chocolate Chip Banana Bread, Blueberry Pound Cake, Cinnamon Pound Cake and Assorted Muffins from PolkaDot Pound Cake in Rockville Centre
Gifts and Goodies:
- Naturally Handmade products by Susan in Franklin Square: (Lavender Soap, Bee Happy Honey Soap, Gardener's Clean-Up Soap, Lemon Balm Soap, Sweet Jasmine Soap, Lavender Patchouli Soap, Gentle Exfoliating Soap and Seaside Rose Soap)
- Light, Medium and Dark Brown Ground Coffee Beans from Gentle Brew in Long Beach
Flowers, Plants and Seeds - All plants must go!
- All organic vegetable starts on sale for 50 cents each.
- Organic veggie starts from Marion's Gardens are on sale for $1.99 each
- Conventional veggie starts are on sale for $1.50 each
- All annuals are on sale for $2.99 each and three for $8
- Hanging baskets are on sale for $19.99 each
- Mandevilla trellises are on sale for $29.99 each
- Hibiscus bushes are on sale for $19.99 each
- Dracena plants are on sale for $9.99 each