Obama also called for Congress to act on a Democrat-backed proposal to raise the current federal minimum wage from $7.25 to $10.10 for all workers. The minimum wage in New York is currently $8 an hour.
We asked Patch readers on our Facebook pages if they support the proposal to raise the minimum wage. Here's some of the responses:
- Of course. When you can't buy a sandwich from an hours worth of work... And most work at $7.25 isn't sitting at a desk checking your Facebook... Then there is a huge problem. Raise it to $12 an hour.
- Absolutely! The reason is simple: more money means that people (mainly teenagers) can spend more on goods and services, encouraging job creation in the private sector.
- This will just push more items to be created elsewhere. If a company in the U.S. needs to pay an employee $10.10 but a company in Asia can pay whatever they want; the outside country is going to win the bid!!!
- $10.10 is not a living wage either. Make a spreadsheet, could you support your family on that?
- No, it'll drive up all prices. Minimum experience, minimum skill, minimum effort = minimum wage. Want more? Go get some more education and some more skills.
- Raising the minimum wage forces corporations to either reduce their work force (recession) or raise their prices. They will certainly not let it affect their profit.
- I have a college degree and I'm currently making $8 an hour cause I can't find a job in my field...along with thousands of other recent college graduates. Is this fair? $8 is not helping me pay my student loans. Not that 10 would either but it would make things a little easier.
- I think it is great, but I fear most small companies will have to lay off people to handle the increase..double edged sword
- Support! Especially now that so many employers have made their workers part-time to avoid paying medical insurance.
- For the currently employed it is great. For the unemployed it will be that much harder to find a job. For the consumer, prices in small businesses and even corporate America companies will increase to offset this labor cost increase.
- I feel like it is long overdue.. Businesses have to pay people what they are worth to work and we have to be able to afford rent and mortgages.
- Raising the minimum wage will only cause inflation and small business to go out of business, and more people to work off the book. Fast food customer service is a entry level job not a career.
- No because kids starting out with no training will not be able, or afford to be hired and just will not get the valuable experience of getting hired for a beginning job.