Departments from the Village of Malverne addressed the board of trustees on various issues at its monthly meeting Wednesday night at village hall.
Fire Chief Scott Edwards, who was absent from last months meeting, reminded Malverne residents that they should have changed the batteries in their smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors when they changed their clocks last month. Edwards said that the batteries need to be changed twice a year and encouraged residents to do so if they already haven’t.
As the weather starts to get warmer, Edwards also asked Malverne residents to keep their barbecues clean in order to prevent grease fires.
“Most of the fires that we go to involving propane barbecues or natural gas barbecues, as have become very popular, are due to grease build up in the bottom of the barbecues,” Edwards said. “Please keep them clean and use the springtime as an opportunity to clean them out.”
Also in relation to the arrival of warmer temperatures, Building Department Superintendent Richard Barbieri told residents who currently have swimming pools at their homes or are thinking about installing one to call the building department and make sure they are code compliant.
Barbieri also asked residents to consider calling the building department to go over their files and homes to make sure that they are up to code, as well.
Department of Public Works Superintendent Paul Jessup asked residents to tie and pack their cardboard together when recycling in order to prevent it from being blown away from the wind out of respect for their neighbors.
The Malverne Volunteer Ambulance Corps reported that they responded to 36 medical emergencies during the month of March.
At the end of the meeting, Mayor Patricia Norris-McDonald reminded residents that there will be a public hearing on the tentative budget for the fiscal year of June 1, 2013 to May 31, 2014 on April 10 Nat 7:30 p.m. at village hall.