East Rockaway High School is among four high schools chosen as finalists for Rent the Runway's "win a prom" contest.
The four schools chosen were all severely damaged by Hurricane Sandy. East Rockaway, the lone school from Long Island, joins three New Jersey schools: Pinelands High School, Toms River High School North and Atlantic City High School.
The school with the most votes will receive the following:
- A "dream prom" designed by celebrity party planner David Tutera to fit the school's prom theme
- A surprise celebrity musical performance
- Prom dresses courtesy of Rent the Runway
- Beauty services from Lancome and Drybar
- Tuxedo rentals courtesy of Men's Wearhouse
- College textbook and rental services provided by Chegg
- DJ, refreshments, photographer and more
Rent the Runway's contest page for East Rockaway reads:
"For 2 weeks the students and community members were without power, unsure of what to do next. Many of my friends’ houses were destroyed, along with boats scattered along people’s front lawns. We finally got news from our school that we would be displaced to an abandoned elementary school in Baldwin, New York. East Rockaway High School suffered 10 million dollars’ worth of damage. We are not sure when we are expected to go back, but for our seniors, that may mean never. The Varsity Basketball, Softball, Baseball and Lacrosse teams lost all opportunity’s to have home games."
Voters are allowed to vote once every 24 hours. A winner will be selected April 1.