Here are the top five headlines for July 24.
- Accident Amputates Leg: A man in a wheelchair lost one of his legs Monday when he was hit by a Mack truck while crossing Sunrise Highway in Lynbrook. Click for the story.
- Road Rage: An alleged case of road rage in North Lynbrook Monday led to a chase that ended with one car slamming into a home. Click for the story.
- Backpack Drive: Families from Malverne and beyond filled Howard T. Herber Middle School gym Saturday to honor the memory of Jim Callahan and help Project H.O.T. S.H.O.T.S. provide school supplies to 5,000 kids who can't afford them. Click for our video report on the event.
- Tennis Pro: Chanda Rubin, who was once ranked the sixth best tennis player in the world, spent a recent Friday playing on the tennis courts at Malverne High School with hundreds of local kids.
- Traffic Pattern Change: As work is being performed on the roof at West Hempstead High School, the school district is alerting residents to changes in the traffic outside the school on Nassau Boulevard: "The loop entrance in front of WHHS will be closed for the next two weeks due to construction on the front part of the building. Visitors will access the parking lot at the traffic light so drivers should anticipate two way traffic at the light. Visitors should park behind the building and use the receiving/gym hallway entrance to the building until further notice."