The Malverne School District face many challenges and celebrated various accomplishments in 2012.
The district contended with New York State's tax cap for the first time. It completed work on its elementary schools. There were conflicts among local school board members, but students, teachers and alumni made their school communities proud.
Here's a look at the top 12 Malverne school stories of 2012.
- : After the Malverne Board of Education many outraged residents signed a petition to ask the board to undue these actions.
- Herber Students Win State Title in Disney's Planet Challenge: The sixth grade science research team at Malverne’s Howard T. Herber beat out all the competition in New York State in Disney’s Planet Challenge contest with a project that made a real difference to a local habitat.
- Malverne Holds Ribbon Cuttings at Renovated Elementary Schools [Photos]: Although there were some delays, the Malverne School District was able to open its two recently renovated elementary school buildings in September and shortly after finished the work under budget. They celebrated the completion of the projects by inviting the community to ribbon-cuttings and tours of both schools.
- Three Malverne Students Suspected in Graffiti Incident: Three Malverne High School students were responsible for spray-painting offensive graffiti on the school’s grounds including the track surrounding the new turf field. Although the names were not released, district officials said they were handling the matter internally.
- WATCH: Power Struggles Shut Down Malverne School Board Meeting: Conflicts among members of the Malverne Board of Education led to a bizarre December business meeting, which came to an abrupt end when one trustee tried to read a statement regarding an investigation launched against her.
- School Official Stands By Handling of Leaky Malverne Roof: After asking residents to vote on a proposition to authorize the Malverne School District to spend more than $300,000 to repair the roof at the high school, district officials learned that the roof was still covered under warranty thanks to the efforts of an outgoing school board member.
- : Malverne High School alum and Who’s The Boss? star Tony Danza released a book reflecting on the year he spent teaching in a public school and what he learned.
- American Idol's Robbie Rosen Sings to Save Frost Valley [Video & Photos]: Since the sixth grade field trip to Frost Valley YMCA was cut from the Malverne School District budget for the first time, parents have been trying to fundraise the roughly $30,000 needed to pay for the trip. One way they brought in money was through a concert featuring American Idol contestant Robbie Rosen.
- Malverne S.D. Defends South Carolina Group's Use of Fields: When controversy erupted over whether a local youth football group followed the rules when it invited a for-profit organization to hold a camp on the Malverne School District’s fields, Patch set the record straight.
- : Malverne High School's select choir followed up a first place performance in late April by entertaining an audience at one of the most well-known music venues in the world.
- Malverne Teacher Named Long Island's Educator of the Month: Malverne science teacher Virginia DeLeo, a favorite among students and parents, received a well-deserved award this year.
- : Rather than taking back all the scheduled vacation days in Feburary 2013, the Malverne School District took a different approach to make up the instructional time lost due to Superstorm Sandy and the Novemebr 2012 Nor'easter.
What local education stories interested you the most this year? Tell us in the comments section.