After months of discussion - from workshops to public hearings to board meetings and debates - West Hempstead school district residents will finally vote Tuesday on the proposed 2012-2013 school budget and two seats on the Board of Education.
Here's everything you need to know to make an informed decision and cast your ballot on May 15.
What's on the ballot?
- The Budget: The $55,188,693 proposed budget for the 2012-2013 school budget is 1.46 percent higher than the 2011-2012 budget and has a projected tax levy increase of 2.58 percent, which stays under the tax cap permitted under New York State law. For more information on the budget .
- Three Board Seats: Six candidates are vying for three seats on the West Hempstead school board. Current Trustees and are each running for a seventh term on the board, Mariano against and Rilling against . and are both running for Anthony Brita's seat. The winner of this race will immediately take over for Vincent Trocchia, who is currently filling this seat as an appointee, and will serve the roughly one year that remain of Brita's term. To learn more about each candidate, click on their names above. To hear how they responded to questions posed by residents at last week's forum, .
Where and when can I vote?
- Registered voters living in the West Hempstead school district can vote on May 15 at from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m.
How are people voting?
- Check out some of the "Letters to the Editor" we received from West Hempstead residents sharing their thoughts on the budget and board candidates.
- Scroll down and vote in Patch's anonymous polls to tell us how you'll be voting on the budget, and board seats, and also see how others intend to cast their ballots.
Be one of the first to know how the vote pans out! Get the results of the West Hempstead school budget and board elections delivered right to your inbox or smartphone by signing up for our breaking news alerts and daily newsletter. Sign-up here. Plus, follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
For all budget-related stories visit the West Hempstead School Budget 2012 topic page.