Numerous roads will be closed in the area surrounding Nassau's HUB and Eisenhower Park starting Saturday with the one-mile and 5K races and concluding Sunday with the 10K, half and full marathons.
Combine the races with a noon puck drop between the New York Islanders and Pittsburgh Penguins at the Nassau Coliseum for the 2013 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs and the area should be just about inaccessible.
Nassau County Executive Ed Mangano and the Nassau County Police Department (NCPD) announced Tuesday enhanced security measures for Long Island Marathon Weekend in the wake of the recent Boston Marathon bombing.
The NCPD had advised that the following roads will be closed on Saturday, May 4:
- Charles Lindbergh Boulevard (Merrick Avenue to Earle Ovington Boulevard) from 8-10 a.m.
- Charles Lindbergh Boulevard (Except above) from 7:30-10 a.m.
- Earle Ovington Boulevard from 8-10 a.m.
- Quentin Roosevelt Boulevard from 8-10 a.m.
- Meadowbrook Parkway exits and entrances to and from Charles Lindbergh Boulevard (Nassau Coliseum, Nassau Community College) and Eisenhower Park exits will be closed from 7:45-10 a.m.
- Charles Lindbergh Boulevard (Merrick Avenue to James Doolittle Boulevard) from 4:15-9:30 a.m.
- Charles Lindbergh Boulevard (Except above) from 7:15-9:30 a.m.
- Merrick Avenue (North of Hempstead Turnpike) from 7:30-9:45 a.m.
- Old Country Road (Post Avenue to School Street) from 7:45-10 a.m.
- School Street (Old Country Road to Railroad Avenue) from 7:45-10 a.m.
- Salisbury Park Drive (Closed to Southbound Traffic Only) from 7:45-10:30 a.m.
- Railroad Avenue from 7:45-10 a.m.
- Post Avenue (Railroad Ave. to Jericho Turnpike) from 8-10:30 a.m.
- Jericho Turnpike (Post Ave. to Brush Hollow Road -- westbound side of Jericho Turnpike will remain open) from
- Brush Hollow Road (Brush Hollow Road, south of Wantagh Parkway, will remain open) from 8:15-11:30 a.m.
- Carman Avenue ((Old Country Road to Nottingham Road) from 8:15 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Wantagh Parkway from 7 a.m. - 3 p.m.
- Northern State Parkway exits to Post Avenue and Wantagh Parkway will be closed.
- All exits and entrances to and from Wantagh Parkway will be closed
- Meadowbrook Parkway exits and entrances to and from Charles Lindbergh Boulevard (Nassau Coliseum, Nassau Community College) and Eisenhower Park exits will be closed from 4:15-10 a.m.
- Eisenhower Park's Park Boulevard will not allow through traffic from 8-10 a.m.
- The Hempstead Turnpike entrance to the park will be open throughout the day, with a turnaround at the golf course until 10 a.m.
Motorists should expect significant delays if traveling in the area and are advised to find alternate routes.