They're working to keep Nassau County's roadways safe and passable with 100-plus assets, including plows and spreaders. In addition, they're equipped with more than 13,000 tons of salt.
County officials urge residents who need to report troubled roads to call the non-emergency hotline at 1-888-684-4274.
Also, 19 warming locations were announced for those needing an escape from the frigid conditions. Locals are urged to contact one of the following facilities for hours of operation:
- Glen Cove Senior Center - 130 Glen Street, Glen Cove (Transport available for City residents). 516-759-9610
- Long Beach Public Library - 111 W. Park Ave, Long Beach. 516-431-7200
- Long Beach SCSC - Temple Beth-El, 570 West Walnut Street, Long Beach. 516-432-5555
TOWN OF OYSTER BAY:
- Village of Massapequa Park – Court Room – 151 Front Street, Massapequa Park. 516-798-0244
- TOB Ice Skating Center at Bethpage – 1001 Stewart Ave, Bethpage. 516-433-7465
- Massapequa Park SCSC - Our Lady of Lourdes School, 379 Linden Street, Massapequa Park. 516-797-5357
- Life Enrichment Center @ Oyster Bay SCSC - 45 East Main Street, Oyster Bay. 516-922-1770
TOWN OF HEMPSTEAD:
- 5 Towns Community Center – 270 Lawrence Ave, Lawrence. 516-239-6244
- Salvation Army (Freeport) – 66 Church Street, Freeport. 516-378-4557
- Bethel A.M.E. Church Roosevelt - 20 N. Main Street, Freeport. 516-377-4469
- Franklin Square SCSC - Wesley United Methodist Church, 619 Fenworth Boulevard, Franklin Square. 516-481-3322
- Hempstead SCSC - United Methodist Church, 40 Washington Ave., Hempstead. 516-565-1568
- Hispanic Brotherhood Senior Program, 59 Clinton Ave, Rockville Centre. 516-766-6610
- North Merrick SCSC - Brookside School, 1260 Meadowbrook Rd., North Merrick. 516-71-8675
- Oceanside SCSC - St. Anthony’s Catholic School - 80 Anchor Avenue, Oceanside. 516-764-9792
TOWN OF NORTH HEMPSTEAD:
- Great Neck SCSC - 80 Grace Avenue, Great Neck. 516-487-0025
- Herricks SCSC - Herricks Community Center, Herricks Road, New Hyde Park. 516-248-3135
- Port Washington SCSC - St. Stephen’s Church, 9 Carlton Ave., Port Washington. 516-944-9654
- Westbury Senior Center - 360 Post Avenue, Westbury. 516-334-5886
Employees from WARMBED and the Department of Social Services (DSS) make appropriate referrals and provide shelter placement. Once placed, the staff at DSS and the Office of Housing and Community Development contact those who are homeless in order to access resources for permanent housing.
For more information, call 1-866-WARMBED.
Stay tuned on Patch for more updates throughout the snowstorm.