Before it became Howard T. Herber Middle School, the building housed the Malverne Junior Senior High School from 1933 to 1958. The school educated students from six different grades. In 1940, the district constructed additional classrooms and an impressive auditorium, which today serves as the performance space for both the middle school and the high school. When the high school opened in 1958, students in the upper grades were then educated in the new building and Howard T. Herber Middle School was created. It was named after Howard T. Herbert, who served as superintendent of the Malverne Union Free School District for many years. Today, more than 500 students are educated here each year, and they participate in sports teams, clubs and other extracurricular activities.