When Our Lady of Lourdes first opened its doors to students in grades 1-6 in 1953, tuition was free and classes were taught by the Dominican Sisters of America. Since then, the school has added classes, now instructing students from nursery school through eighth grade, and instituted a tuition plan, hired a faculty of lay people and implemented new technologies. The three-story schoolhouse has managed to maintain its charm as it evolved over the years. Students receive a private, faith-based education in a small classroom setting, with access to new technologies and resources including science and computer labs, foreign language programs and preparatory classes for the Catholic high school entrance exam. Students participate in a range of extracurricular activities including a mentor program; journalism; and clubs to promote reading, writing, math, art and music.