Here are the top five headlines for Oct. 12.
- Dangerous Intersection: Three more people were injured Thursday in a crash at this West Hempstead intersection, which has been the site of many accidents including one pedestrian fatality in recent years. Click here for the story and let us know what can be done to make this crossroads safer.
- School Taxes: How much did your school taxes go up this year? Did you think they were going to be capped at 2 percent because of the new law? Find out what's really going on here.
- Weekend Events: Malverne, West Hempstead and Lynbrook will be buzzing this weekend as there will be three parades, three homecomings, two fairs, a 5K run, tag sale and dancing competition. There's so much going on that we've created a handy guide just for this weekend. Look for it later today.
- Lynbrook School Board: Coming up later this morning, look for Patch's coverage of the Lynbrook Board of Education's October business meeting.
- Flying Teacher: It's a bird ... a plane ... No, it's a science teacher? See how this Malverne educator took his professional development to new heights.